2016 Winter Reading Challenge TBR

Cold weather like today’s means the winter reading challenges are near. I am doing this one by Megan that starts on November 1st and goes to January 31, 2017. If you’re in the mood for a reading challenge, click to sign up too.Semi Charmed Winter Reading Challenge

Challenge Categories:

5 points: Book that is at least 150 pages long – Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
10 points: 2016 finalist for a literary prize: National Book AwardMan Booker or Man Booker International The Vegetarian by Han Kang
10 points: Brand-new release (published between November 1,  2016, and January 31, 2017) The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon
15 points: Author of a different race or religion than you And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini – Afghani Muslim
15 points: Book featuring a main character who is of a different race or religion than you – Confess by Colleen Hoover
20 points: Modern retelling of a classic – Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson (retelling of The Merchant of Venice) or Hag-seed by Margaret Atwood (retelling of The Tempest)
25 points: Book with an alcoholic beverage (neat or cocktail) in the title. — A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith (after a cocktail named Brooklyn)
30 points: Book with a character that shares your first or last name. Sula by Toni Morrison which has a character named Nel Wright (thanks to Erin for the recommendation)
30 points: Read two books: a nonfiction book and a fiction book with which it connects. Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer (NF) and The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict (Fiction)
40 points: One by an author whose first name is the same as the last name of the author of the other book. Unburnable by Marie-Elena John and An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

I am drawing a blank on fictional characters with named Karen or Wright so that’s where I need your help. Can you think of any books that meet this criteria that I might want to read for the challenge? Leave me a comment below. Thanks. Updated: Erin recommended that I read Sula (see above). How do other people find books that fit this category?

1. texerinsydney says:

Sula by Toni Morrison has a character with the last name Wright. I read The Bluest Eye, and I know you read Beloved. Have you read Sula? I know I want to read more Toni Morrison.

Thanks. no I haven’t read Sula or any of her other books so this is a great recommendation. I’ll request it at the library

2. This is a great challenge! I love your book list – I might have to have a go at taking this one on myself.

That would be awesome. since I haven’t chatted with you in a while, it would be nice to share this with you. I look forward to seeing your list.

1. That sounds fab. I’ll give it some thought – I’m stuck for ideas on a couple of the categories, but if I come up with something by the end of the month, I’m in. Either way, I’ll be cheering you on 🙂

If you need some recommendations, let me know too. I couldn’t come up with all my categories and I got help so I’d love to pass on the favor.

3. This looks like a really fun way to check out some new books! Looks like you have some great books on your list 🙂

Yeah these challenges are really fun. I enjoy trying them even when I don’t complete them. The winter one I should do well with though – cold weather means lots of time to read.

4. I don’t have suggestions for your challenge using your name but I think this is great! I don’t read near enough. I think I need extra points just for getting a book finished period. Now blogs, I could help you there! I do read my share! See I can even rhyme, wait that might be the wine???

Lol. Tricia, you’re funny. I enjoy reading so I make time for it but not for several other things that I know I should do. We all have to do what works.
      You’re an awesome friend of mine and I hope that you enjoy the wine. (see two can play the rhyming game)

1. Love it!!!! You much better than I am. 😊

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

This sounds awesome! I think winter is a great time to get in more reading since we tend to spend more time indoors. Maybe I’ll participate and finally get rid of my excuse to not pick up a book!

Absolutely, you should join in. I don’t always finish the challenges but I’ve found it’s a good way to push myself to read something I might not otherwise choose.
      I’d love to see your TBR if you sign up.

6. Chaitali says:

Great challenge, I love the variety of categories! Sula, A Tree Grown in Brooklyn, and Interpreter of Maladies are the only ones I’ve read on your list but they’re all great.

Sounds like we have similar tastes in novels. That’s so cool.

7. What a great challenge! Unfortunately, I’d be a great big fail with this. I read so many blogs, I don’t allot any time for actual books (my bad, I know).

That’s okay, Kimberly. Blogging takes a lot of time. I keep a list of blogs to check and if I’m not careful, it could consume my free time.

8. Wow now that looks like a great challenge for you!
    I love to read, probably as much as you. I just haven’t (this year) hit the higher number of books I usually get through. I’m about 41.5 books finished right now, but all the books I read are fairly long so my goodread page count is at 15,880 this year, which even though I read more books last year I technically am on target to read more content this year:)
    Wish I could join your challenge, but I am such a picky reader. Like crazy picky, You can laugh but I really enjoy YA, well the ones written for adults, LOL I am finding they are better written then most adult fiction at times and keep my attention better since they are faster paced and less info dumping, can you tell I am a total for pleasure reader, LOL
    But I do like to read at least 1 classic each year. Come to think of it, I am not sure if I have done that this year or not. hmmmm I should get on that and quit rambling to you, LOL
    Good luck with your challenge!!!

I hear you on liking YA books more than some adult. I go through little phases where I need to read different genres too. This summer, I experimented with some YA and New Adult fiction and found some new things to enjoy. You’ll notice I have a YA and a NA on my TBR list too. Are you a Colleen Hoover fan? I read November 9th and really enjoyed it, didn’t love It Ends With Us as much but now I have 2 others of her books on my TBR. Nicola Yoon’s Everything Everything was really good and I have her new book on my TBR too. It’s one of those books I would love to go to the store and buy on release day.
      The classics can be a little hard to get through which is why I am struggling with Tale of Two Cities right now. I need to finish it this week to meet another challenge. I set a goal to read 60 pages every day and I’m already behind from day 1. Haha.
      We’re in the same boat, Kristy.

1. I’ve actually never heard of Colleen Hover or Nicola Yoon, I’ll have to look into them!

LOL. Are you sure you’re into YA, Kristy? Just kidding. Nicola Yoon has Jamaican roots but lived in New York for a while. She wrote Everything Everything that was released last year, I think. It’s about a teenage girl who’s allergic to everything and isn’t supposed to leave her house until… you know… something happens. Yoon has another book out in November called The Sun is Also A Star that is getting a lot of hype in the YA world.
        Colleen Hoover, now, she writes New Adult fiction mostly, early 20-somethings, falling in love. I read one of her books entitled November 9th and really loved it. It was about a couple of teens who meet on that day and decide to see each other on that date every year. Great plot. she has written A LOT of books, I have 2 on my November TBR so if you need a recommendation, I’m your girl.

9. I found the name category really difficult as well. Google doesn’t help – it just kept giving me characters from books by authors with my name or characters who live in Beverly Hills.
    I know you have a book now, but for future reference there is a Karen in House of Leaves by Mark Danieleski.

Lol at the google search results. Was the same issue here.
      House of Leaves… I feel like I’ve heard about this book before. What is is about?

1. Something about a house that grows extra rooms… I think? It’s on the BBC Big Read list and I’m trying to read all of them, which is why I’ve heard of it. I haven’t got round to that one yet.

Wow that is an interesting concept. I requested it from the library so I’ll let you know when I’m reading it. Thanks for the recommendation. I love getting them.

10. This is such a great idea! I really need to make more time for “fun” reading.

Yes we all do need that. I enjoy reading Non Fiction books too but something special happens in my mind when I immerse myself in a great novel. New worlds open up for me. I think we all need that.

11. I love book lists because I’m constantly looking for new and awesome books to read.
    What a fun and unique challenge!

Thanks, Ange. Yeah some of the categories are quite challenging to find but it’s a great way to read outside of the norm and also a great way to meet other readers.
      I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about books and since I started doing that, I’ve met so many readers and greatly increased the number of books I need to read “right now”. haha. I could talk about books all day, stopping only to read more.
      You can check out my channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/facebookdiva

12. Oh I love this little challenge! I am so looking forward to checking out some new books for winter! I am currently reading Gabby Bernstein’s The Universe Has Your Back and it is awesome!

Thanks, Lauren. Winter is definitely the best time to stack up on some good books. I have heard of the book you mentioned. I’ve clicked around Gabrielle Bernstein’s blog and her writings remind me of another of my favorites Marianne Williamson. Maybe I’ll check out her book too

13. laurenruns says:

This sounds like a fun challenge! I need some guidance in my reading lately, so I think I’ll try to join in on the fun!

14. Megan says:

Glad to have you back again! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorites from my childhood; I hope you like it too. 🙂 I haven’t picked out my “Megan” book for the name category either … I hope someone has good suggestions for me. Good luck!

Sorry I don’t have a suggestion for you, Megan. Maybe I should name a character after you in the novel I’m writing for NaNoWriMo 🙂

15. This challenge looks like a lot of fun. I may pick it up just to help guide my winter reading. Still working on Fall Bookish Bingo until the end of November, but perhaps some of the categories could overlap! It may also overlap some with the 12 Days of Diverse Retellings challenge…so many reading challenges so little time!! Good luck! 🙂

I am a little over-excited with the abundance of challenges. It makes it easy to find one you want to participate in but if you’re like me, you kinda want to do them all.
      Let me know if you can overlap and join in. A lot of my challenge TBRs overlap too. Otherwise, it wouldn’t work.
      In other news, the Diverse retellings challenge sounds fun… you see what I mean?

1. Haha. I know exactly what you mean! I just want to do them ALL! I do think they’ll overlap, so I’ll probably attempt both. As I’m also attempting a bookish bingo challenge. *sigh* 🙂

I think I might be doing the same book bingo. I attempted 2 this year. It’s the year of the reading challenges.