Fitness Focus 10 28 16

After months away, I finally went back to the gym today. I had a cold this week but after several cups of tea made with lemon, ginger, Tumeric and honey, I’ve finally started feeling better and I felt like I needed a little activity to get me back on track.

The gym has changed. There are these stair climbing machines that I’d never seen before and that I forgot to take a picture of. But I forgot because I was just so busy with my workout – 30 minutes on the treadmill was enough for today and it motivated me to want to go back. That’s important for a first time back at the gym, I think. Gym-timidation from Friday Fitness 10 28 16

I’ve also decided to resume my GBOMBS meals. It’s the best plan I’ve tried and I want to use it to fuel my workouts as I focus on improving my health. If you’re unfamiliar, you can check out any of these posts where I talk a little more about GBOMBS:

The picture above shows part of my grocery haul where I covered the GBOMBS staples

• G – greens. I try to always have at least two kinds of greens on hand at all times. Roasted broccoli is one of my favorite foods.
  • B – beans. Lentils for soups and black beans for salads.
  • O – onions. I love cooking with white onions and I usually get the red ones for salads.
  • M – mushrooms. I prefer these Cremini mushrooms to the pre-packaged baby Bella.
  • B – berries. My package of strawberries is almost done. I didn’t realize but I’ll get another kind of berry later. Is it blueberry season?
  • S – seeds (My package of chia seeds is almost done but they’re not available at my neighborhood grocery so I need to head to Whole Foods or something this weekend)

And that’s my Fitness Friday focus. I hope that next week this time, I’ll have a better update for you, that I would have logged a few hours in the gym and have some progress to share but right now I’m just excited about the process.

What’s your fitness focus this week?

Find me on AmazonYouTube, InstagramPinterest and Twitter
Friday – The Diary of a Real HousewifeMar on the RunSeptember FarmMeet @ The BarreXOXO Rebecca, April,  Fitness FridayFitFulFocus

1. Your GBOMBS staples are great! Some of my favorites too. I will have to check out your previous posts on this strategy.

Thanks, Jennifer. I haven’t always been very consistent and that’s often my downfall. I have great ideas, start off strong and somewhere in the middle of the regimen, I just give up.
      I am working on a little game this time to help me stick with my plan. I’m still refining the details and as soon as I think I’m ready, I’ll share.
      I’m getting older and I really have to be better about achieving my optimal weight and fitness level so I’m willing to do almost anything to get there. That statement just made me think of this eCard that says “I’d do anything to lose weight except eat right and exercise” I don’t want to be that character 🙂

2. Chaitali says:

Leaving the gym wanting to go back is definitely a good thing! Interesting about putting turmeric in the tea. How much do you put in? I’m thinking of trying to have more turmeric because I hear it’s got some anti-inflammatory properties.

i just saw an awesome recipe for a tea. Are you on Instagram so I can tag you?

3. I’m so happy to hear you’re feeling better and were able to get back to your routine! Will you be out watching the NYC Marathon next weekend?

Yes I will be watching – it’s one of the highlights of my year. I live in Harlem so I usually go by the 135th street and 5th avenue location to see the runners as they come into Manhattan. I’ve seen celebs running but I’ve never recognized any bloggers or anyone else I know.

4. debolton says:

Awesome that you’re getting back into the gym and working out. I have never heard the GBOMBS but I love the concept. Going to look into that a little more. Thanks for the introduction!

Awesome. Thanks for your comment, De. I just got another of Dr. Fuhrman’s books, Eat To Live, so if you need any more info, let me know.

5. Great job getting back to the gym after being sick! I find that’s the hardest thing to do when I’m getting over being sick. And good for you for stocking up on some healthy foods too! And I love roasted broccoli. I just bought some myself so maybe that’s what I’ll do with it!

I hope you enjoy that broccoli, Jenn. It’s yummy all by itself.
      Thanks for stopping by.

6. Way to get back at it! I’ve been sick for a week+ as well and am itching to workout. But that half I ran last weekend zapped all my reserves so I must be patient! I like the GBOMBS method – interesting way to look at it!

7. Way to go!!!

I am planning my workouts for next week and need to get my food prep ready!

Ypur selection looks good but, You lost me at mushrooms . .I just can’t.

Enough is enough…I got to get back at it!!

Liked by 2 people

1. bodden96 says:

Mushrooms. High in vitamin D. The body uses vitamin D as a hormone to actually regulate hormone levels. If you live in the northeast, most of the year the sunlight waves are too weak to penetrate and activate the bodies natural vitamin D within the skin.

Vitamin D hormones improve libido, skin, hair, bone, energy levels and cell repair, and stunt cancer cell growth.

Mushrooms saved my life. Literally. Trust Karen on this one.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks for that info…..I just can’t though….the texture alone throws me off.

8. bodden96 says:

Nice comeback , Karen. 30 minutes on the mill is good time. I first heard of Dr Fuhrman while watching a fundraising program on PBS. I was so intrigued by the information I took notes during the program. The GBOMBS method didn’t entirely work for me though. I have a sensitivity to grains(corn, wheat, rice,). I don’t even want to tell you what soy did to me. I also gave up beans and legumes because of a sensitivity to them as well. Those chick peas are murder. Mushrooms on the other hand saved my life and you won’t believe the story. I’ll share it with you one day.

When will you run the marathon yourself, Karen? Or am I wrong in assuming you havent? I know you can do it so it wouldn’t surprise me if you have.

Happy to see that you’re back in the hunt and feeling energized. Keep at it.
    Here’s to health.

PS- I think it’s still strawberry season because they’re on sale at all the markets.

1. bodden96 says:

Sorry. I forgot the “G” is for greens and not grains. Dr fireman is correct to leave them out. If you read “Wheat Belly” by Dr Williams you’ll understand better.

9. I always find that working out helps my colds go away. Something about all that sweat + detoxing that must do it. I am not really a gym person, but we do have one in our basement of the building so I would run on the treadmill or rather do a run / walk combo when I don’t feel like going outside. I will say that more recently I have started incorporating weights…and I’m feeling good about this addition. So maybe I am becoming a gym person?

10. I was sick for a few weeks this fall and it totally knocked me off my routine. Good luck getting back on track! I’ve also never heard of GROMBS but it sounds pretty solid. I’m just not a mushroom person 😉

For me, my goal this week is to get in two solid lifting sessions and make sure I hit my mileage goals for half marathon training!

11. Mandie says:

I love the idea of having a weekly focus fitness-wise! I guess for me this week, I am focusing on getting back at it. Last week got crazy because our flight got delayed coming back from Chicago, so I inadvertently basically pulled an all-nighter and was a tired mess trying to catch up the rest of the week. Now I just want to do something fitness-wise every day again! I do so much better when I am following a specific program than I do when I am winging it, so it’s time to make one or pick one!