More Time

So often, when we’re busy or stressed, we daydream about what we would do with just a little more time. Students, for a chance to read the chapter one more time before the test. Workaholics, for a little more time to spend catching up in the office, perhaps. Partygoers, for a few more spins from the deejay, maybe so they could finally hear the song they’d been waiting for all night? Couples in love, for the few extra minutes they could spend locked in embrace before the world came knocking. Why would you want more time?

This morning, we had the chance to put it to the test. At 2:00 a.m. today, the clocks turned back and “magically”, an extra hour was added to everyone’s day. So what did you do with that extra time?

Sunday, November 6th was race day for about 50,000 people here in New York City. They used the opportunity to lace up their running shoes, show up at their starting gates and run 26.2 miles through the city to earn their TCSNYC 2016 Marathon medal.2016 TCS NYC Marathon

Kudos to all the marathoners, especially to this fellow blogger. This was her last race as a New Yorker since she’s moving to Texas soon and I imagine it was an emotionally charged race for her. Most runners have similarly interesting/emotional/tearjerking stories of why they ran today.

Some people got up a little earlier to get to church on time. Some were already at work and got a little extra pay because they ended up working a longer shift. Others were home and watched an extra hour of TV. Some caught up on some much needed and well deserved rest. What did you do?

Me, I fell asleep early, missed the time change but woke up at 2:30 a.m., delirious because I knew I’d had enough sleep. I stayed in bed until morning finally broke, reading this short story collection and watching the first rays of sunrise shoot past the buildings that block my view of the eastern horizon.Interpreter of Maladies Short Stories by Jhumpa Lahiri

The true test of a person’s intent is what they will do when given the opportunity.

If you want to know what you’d do with extra time, just check what you did with the extra hour you gained this weekend. If you’re content, keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re not happy with how you’ve spent your time, make some changes – no sense throwing hours after the seconds you’ve already wasted.

Next year, I plan to spend my extra hour getting ready for the marathon. I entered the sweepstakes and  will enter every drawing I need to, to win a spot in the 2017 race. I’ve tried before and failed but I feel like 2017 is my year to finally accomplish that goal. Enter for a chance to run the 2017 TCS NYC Marathon

How did you spend your extra hour? If you had another extra hour tonight, would you do it all over again?

1. that first story in interpreter of maladies SHATTERED MY HEART AND CRUSHED the pieces. lahiri’s writing is SO DAMNED BEAUTIFUL.

Oh my, yes. From that first story, I knew Interpreter of Maladies would be an emotionally thrilling read. I just did a book review that I will post later this week. Jhumpa Lahiri is master of character development in just a few lines. Great to talk about the book with someone else who’s read it. Have you read others of her book? I just bought The Namesake recently and want to reread it soon. I also want to check out that that book she wrote that’s Italian on one side and English on the other side.

2. Kate W says:

Yes, who doesn’t want more time?!

Ages ago I read a fascinating article about a guy who switched his diet to Soylent so that he would have more time in his day (because he no longer had to shop, prepare meals, eat them and clean up).He predicted he’d reclaim at least a 1-2 hours a day. I’ve searched in vain for that article – will post the link if I find it.
    PS. The outcome of the Soylent experiment was yes, he had loads more time but it wasn’t productive or useful time and that furthermore, without food his social life suffered.

You’re right about him being fascinating. I’d like to read that article.

3. Chaitali says:

Did you enjoy Interpreter of Maladies? It’s one of my favorites. Good luck with getting into the NYC Marathon for 2017!

Yeah Mr Kapasi was one of my favorite characters in the book. I felt so sad for him – he wanted the wife to like him so badly.

4. Our clocks went back a week ago in the UK. It was great. I woke up at 7am completely awake and refreshed, and i got SO MUCH done with my day! it was amazing!

Oh that’s a great report.

5. What an interesting way to look at daylight savings. Most people wish they had extra time in the day, and yesterday we got it.
    I worked which isn’t very exciting, but it was a more relaxed feeling to know the extra hour was there. ..So I experienced less of a time crunch.

6. Stefanie says:

Good luck with the marathon drawing. I think with the extra time, time I felt especially yesterday evening, I knitted more while watching a knitting podcast.

7. I spent my extra hour having a “tee party” with my 2 and 4 year old…we dressed the dogs up too!

haha that’s a great pun and great idea. Thanks for sharing that story.