What I Know For Sure

I just finished book no. 96 in my reading challenge. It was Oprah Winfrey’s What I Know For Sure, which is a compendium of lessons learned that she’s previously wrote about in her O magazine editorial. It’s a small book with a big message about how to live your best life ever – which is one of the campaigns I remember most from her show. What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey

While I enjoyed reading Oprah’s reflections, one of my favorite passages from the book was actually written by someone else – it’s an email she received from a poet friend, Mark Nepo, that says:

You want to look for poetry in your soul and in everyday life, as you search for stones on the beach. Four thousand miles away, as the sun ices the snow, I smile. For in this moment, you are the poem. After years of looking, I can only say that searching for small things worn by the deep is the art of poetry. But listening to what they say is the poem. For me, poetry is the unexpected utterance of the soul. It is where the soul touches the everyday. It is less about words and more about awakening the sense of aliveness we carry within us from birth. To walk quietly till the miracle in everything speaks is poetry, whether we write it down or not. I confess, I started out wanting to write great poems, only to be worn by life to wanting to discover true poems, and now in the second half of life, I feel humbled and excited to want to be the poem.

Such thrilling words to read and adopt as a philosophy on life.

In the next couple of days, I have 3 books that I am almost finished reading and one short book that I’ll read cover to cover in an attempt to get to book 100 before the stroke of midnight on Saturday.

This 100 books in a year reading challenge has been really fun which is why I’m doing it again in 2017 but making it into a book club so we can chat about books as we read them. I’ll be launching the 17 in 17 book club on my YouTube channel so subscribe now so you’ll see when that video goes live. Stay tuned for that announcement.

What’s going on with you today? Do you have big New Year’s Eve plans? Are you making 2017 goals already?

#ThinkingOutLoud

1. Simon says:

My reading has been lame this year!

So you should sign up for my 2017 book club to get your reading mojo on 🙂

1. Simon says:

I would love to… But i have no idea how I’ll fit it in ☺

2. Wow, 100 books – that’s impressive! I like that you’re using YouTube for your book discussions/reviews. I’m seeing that more and more and will have to check it out. Happy reading!

3. Paul Goddard says:

Readers are leaders!
    100 books in a year is a great accomplishment and I’m sure that you have lead others to read more.
    In 2017, I definitely will read more. But, I’m a slow reader so 100 books in a year is bit of a reach for me.

Well congrats Paul. It sounds like you’re already leading yourself to great things. By reading more, you’ll also lead the others in your life. Don’t compare yourself to anyone, just keep moving toward being your best self.

4. TTATM says:

You are such an inspiration. You make me want to get through the books that I have been putting off.

Awww, thanks Tara.