2017. Word!

Setting a  word-for-the-year is something I started doing a few years ago. After I’ve taken some time to recap my progress over the last year and set my goals and resolutions for the new year, I think about a word that I want to focus on that will help me accomplish my plans.

In 2016, the word was progress (the verb, not the noun) to describe my intent to keep moving forward everyday. I achieved a lot in 2016. I didn’t necessarily meet a lot of the targets I set but I did progress so I think overall, the year and the word-for-the-year were fitting.

In 2017, I want to focus more on reaching some of those targets and I’ve mulled over the word that I want to use to describe my plans. And I think I’ve finally settled on it. Or at least, I’ve narrowed it down. It’s either Achieve or Accomplish.

There’s a quote that I keep hearing that says, Perfect is the enemy of the good. It’s a statement attributed to Voltaire who lived over 400 years ago. Time I learned from the mistakes of those who lived before me, right? I don’t want to waste time on trying to perfect things. It is better to achieve the good and move on to the next thing. So my latest YouTube video isn’t going to win any awards. So what? It’s better that I just put it out there, share the message so I can move on to the next thing I want to record. So the book I’ve been writing for the last year isn’t quite as perfect yet as I know it can be. If I just stop the constant editing and release it, I can move on to writing an even better one. In 2017, I want to stop being such a self-critic, and just achieve more, accomplish more.Perfect is the enemy of good

So that’s the word. Accomplish. Yeah, that sounds right. See even to write this post, I wasn’t sure that I wanted to sit down to write it until I was settled on the word. But just the act of writing my thoughts down helped me make the choice. That’s the kind of year I want 2017 to be. The year where I accomplish some of the goals I’ve been putting on my list for the past several years now so I can move on to bigger and better experiences.

Have you chosen a word for 2017? Care to share it?

Yes! I like it. Gratitude in all things also
      says you are ready for more. All the best in 2017, Pippa

1. This year I need to focus on consistency.

I think that is so important. Sporadic activity doesn’t yield the kind of growth we crave. Thanks for sharing with us and all the best for 2017.

2. Dave says:

“Renewal” is my word for 2017.

Oh, I like this one too. All the best for 2017, Dave!

3. Before reading your post I had not thought over what one word would encapsulate 2017; however, thinking over my goals and focus for this year, looking at the title of my most recent ebook, I realize I already have one. Growth. Growth is my word of 2017. Growth in my relationship with my Savior, growth in my writing. May 2017 be an exciting one where we all live up to our word of the year!

Thanks for sharing your word with us, Melanie. I was just talking with a friend about wanting to experience growth in our character and all our relationships every day. Awesome word. All the best for 2017

4. Chaitali says:

Great word for the year! I’m not sure of mine yet. I love that quote about the perfect being the enemy of the good. It’s so true.

Thanks for the comment, Chaitali. The word took a while to come to me too – or rather it took a while for me to get to it. You’re not late.

5. Paul Goddard says:

My word for 2017 is “application”.
    Often, I will read something positive or hear an inspirational word and fail to apply it to my life.
    Not only should we be hearers, we should also be doers. Therefore, in 2017 I will apply the necessary things to my life to help me accomplish my goals.

Application is another awesome word. I wish you all the best in your applying what you learn to reach your goals

6. I like your attitude about just getting it done rather than obsessing over perfection. I sometimes get so caught up in making things perfect when it’s really not necessary. Good enough works!

Yes it does, Elysha. Keep on doing good!

7. AB says:

My word is Consistency.

No. Someone picked that already. Just kidding, AB. Consistency is such a great word. I have to do more of that myself. I tend to do things in phases so being consistent is a great thing to focus on. All the best in 2017.

8. Great word!!

I love this…..want to stop being such a self-critic. I can totally get behind that!!

Cheers to all the things you will Accomplish in 2017! One of which ishould for us to meet in person 😉

Kudos to you for all your amazing accomplishments in 2016 and even more to come in this new year. I look forward to meeting up… soon 🙂

9. Love this idea of choosing a word! Happy New Year!