Motivating Myself

I have to start running again. I’m still waiting to take my first run of the season. Make that my first run of the year. I’ve been off, content to do some light exercise at home but I really miss running when I’m not doing it. I feel lazy and I don’t like feeling lazy. I want to be motivated to run everyday, to wake up with the knowledge that I’m going to run today. I want to start a running streak but I know that’s just crazy talk right now. Winter really makes it hard to keep up a good running schedule. It’s too dark and too cold to go running in the early morning. It’s too dark to run in the evenings when I’m done working. But I miss it.

I have to find a way to fit it in. I can’t keep making excuses about the dark and the weather and every reason in the book for not going out. Jim Rohn Quote

By the time you read this, I am hoping I would have gone out for my first run – just a mile or so around my neighborhood to remind myself why I enjoy it, why I’ll do it even in adverse weather. I have a lot of goals this year that are dependent on me finding an exercise regimen and not just writing about it but following it. It’s time to start working on hitting those targets.

How do you motivate yourself to get back to exercise after taking time off?

Linkups: More Pieces of MeWeekly GoalsWeekly WrapsMonday Gratitude

Amazon, YouTubeBloglovin, InstagramPinterest and Twitter

1. It is tough in the winter with the cold and darkness. I haven’t run in ages. Lately I’ve been doing a lot of yoga…I’ve been craving a quieter, more inward type of exercise. I guess it’s my January training.
    You’ll get back to it, and when you do it will feel SO RIGHT.

Thanks so much for that encouragement.

2. Simon says:

Keep running Karen! I get that it’s tough, I used to run and was out in all weather. I’m not so fit or confident now.

Lol. Simon, honestly, right now, that makes two of us. Not feeling so fit or confident right now either.

1. Simon says:

Yes but i think you’ve been running more than me in the last year lol.
        I need to get fit…

3. I use running as a time to catch up with friends – I run with a group for long runs + a chance to soak up some sunshine, or at least fresh air. Those are the things that keep me motivated in the wintertime when the weather is BLEH.

Hope you made it out for you run!

I did. I ran 1.7 miles which is more than I’d planned. Not bad for my first day back and it makes me want to go back tomorrow 🙂
      Thanks for the comment.

4. Paul Goddard says:

It’s good that you have found inner strength to encourage yourself.
    The first step is always the hardest and you have taken the first step (first run).
    With hard work and determination, it will get easier.

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul. I will keep going. I have some exciting runs planned.

5. I find that it is harder in the winter to get out there to run when it is always cold or dark. Just getting out there is the hardest part. They say you never regret the ones you do, only the ones you don’t do. Hopefully you will find your motivation soon to get back out there to run.

Thanks. I had some time off yesterday and I did get out for a short daytime run. It felt great and I hope it helps to build up some momentum.

6. Way to get it done!!!

I have to plan something (a race or something) to often times get me back motivated. This time around it was not fitting my favorite jeans…nothing like having to squeeze into clothes to spark my booty (no pun intended..lol!) into gear!!

Yes! Agreed. For me, I used to just buy a new pair of jeans but I have some fancy pants that I don’t want to give away so I have to try to keep fitting in them now 🙂

7. HoHo Runs says:

It’s hard to be motivated to get out of the bed for a cold, dark run. But, having a particular goal or perhaps a race helps to stay motivated. Just take that first step…the others come much easier. Thanks for linking, Karen!