February is celebrated as Black History month and my reading this month is going to be centered around books by authors of African descent. Some of the titles I’ve chosen and the countries the authors represent are:
- Homegoing /Yaa Gyasi – Ghana
- Here Comes The Sun / Nicole Dennis-Benn – Jamaica
- Radiance of Tomorrow / Ishmael Beah – Sierra Leone
- What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours/ Helen Oyeyemi – Nigeria
- The Underground Railroad /Colson Whitehead – USA
- The Star Side of Bird Hill /Naomi Jackson – Barbados
- See Now Then /Jamaica Kincaid – Antigua
I am excited at the diversity of opinions that I think I will get from all these writers who have African origins but probably had such different experiences in their own little corner of the world.
And whether you’re reading or writing or just going about your daily lives dealing with all the other things you have going on, please let’s use Black history month as an opportunity to support authors and artists and entrepreneurs of African descent. Part of celebrating history is acknowledging the struggles a group has experienced and going out of our way to show that we support them triumphing over those challenges.