Picking Up The Pieces

On Sunday, I met a woman at an event I attended and during the getting-to-know you segment, we started talking. Although I don’t have children myself, I probably come off as very motherly because of all the time I spend working with other people’s children. So she asked me for a referral for a friend of her son’s (who is also the son of her friend. Lol) who is acting out, has left home and needs to figure out where his life is heading before he makes some choices that carry big consequences. He needs to talk to a professional. He needs professional services. She knew that and I knew that she knew that. I hated hearing the story but I listened because it was her experience and she needed to share it.

She asked me to pray for her and I promised to, except I told her that I’ll pray for her today because she’s going through a challenging moment but that in the circle of life, she might need to pray for me soon because my challenge might come tomorrow. When I said it, I thought about that line a TV pastor made famous – he says, we are always either in a storm, coming out of one or heading into one. That’s a kind of fatalistic way to view life and while it’s also true that we don’t know when our storms will come, I don’t like walking through my peaceful moment thinking about an impending storm. It feels like we should just enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

So I came home, did some laundry, enjoyed watching the Super Bowl and made plans for a great week ahead. I thought about the outfits I would wear when it warmed up later this week and just generally enjoyed the view of a cloudless day in la-la-land. And when I woke up today (yesterday’s tomorrow just like I predicted), the bar in my closet broke and now all my clothes are in shambles. I am literally picking up the pieces over here.Picking Up The Pieces

Hopefully this is the beginning and the end of my challenges this week. I could use some smooth sailing ahead.

Since I read Marie Kondo’s book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I’ve been planning to go through my entire closet and get rid of some things. If you’ve read her book (or the sequel, Spark Joy), or are familiar with her master classes, you know she recommends that you take all your clothes out of the closets and drawers etc. and sort through them before you hang or fold anything and put it away. For a long time, I’ve avoided going to the back of the closet. Now I have no choice. I have to see this new development as a silver lining. Then again, what choice do I have?

How was your weekend? How did the week start for you?

Find me on Amazon, YouTubeTumblrBloglovin, InstagramPinterest and Twitter

Linkup: Inspire Me TuesdayHit Me With Your Best Shot,  Style ElixirThe Scoop,

1. Oh the closet. I spent this weekend cleaning my room, delivering my room and tackling my closet. I have way too many clothes and need to get rid of some for sure.

I find the storm comment to be true and I like your perspective of enjoying the clear skies!

My week started out good. Let’s hope it continues.

Good luck with the closet!

Have a good week!

Thanks for the encouragement, T. When I cleared out the closet, I found some things I’d completely forgotten that I owned. I got a lot of clothes recently so I really need to get rid of some old ones to keep the balance.
      All the best for the rest of your week too.

2. Katie says:

Totally loved this post Karen!!I actually have had the same thing happen to me and my closet!! LOL This post is really inspiring…bookmarking!! Have a great Tuesday!!

Thanks so much for your comment, Katie. I hope you have a wonderful day today also.

3. pondernwonder says:

I’ve a huge fan of kondo’s method. Read both her books. I was intrigued at first. Even ifI declutter everything, what’s the chance I won’t go back to my old ways. But, did my whole tidying marathon from Aug-Nov. And haven’t gone back to my old ways still. The only thing I haven’t listened to her is books. I agree we all have tons of books that we say we’ll read someday and it piles up. I do too!! I’m a book collector. But, it’s hard to part with books. It feels like parting away with knowledge. So I’m giving myself 2 years. If I don’t read them by then, they go.

I’m a book collector too. Every now then I get rid of one book I know I don’t want to read again and to congratulate myself, I buy a new book to fill the spot in the shelf. Lol.

1. pondernwonder says:

It’s a good disease! 🙂

Yeah! And I think it’s contagious too.

4. I have never read the Magic of Tidying Up but now I’m thinking I might have to…

You should. It’s an interesting read. Even if you don’t adopt the principles, I think it’s worth it to start thinking about what amount of your stuff you actually get joy out of and why you keep the rest.

5. At least your closet fiasco is forcing you to rearrange.
    I always pray each night before bed. I thank God for a peaceful, uneventful day. Should a storm come my way, I ask God for his guidance.

Yes and YES! Talking to God is the only way. Helps to resolve the past and equips for the future.
      Thanks T. I hope you have a wonderful day today

6. My mom has read both of Kondo’s books and I know that she definitely found them useful. 🙂

Oh nice! They are quite interesting reads and I think even if we don’t adopt all the principles, if we find something in a book that improves our lives even a bit, it’s worth it.

7. Paul Goddard says:

That closet thing must be going around. I spent the weekend replacing a rod in a closet.
    Thank GOD for his potection and guidance through the storms of life.
    The good news is, no matter what we are going through, He is always with us. That revelation calms all storms.

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul. I hope you have a great day.