Ten People That Could Rewrite History

Novelists have the unique ability to take an ordinary event and make it into something else entirely. Tell them your life story and they can rewrite it so you are a hero or a villain, depending on how they feel about you. Life experiences make great backstory for novel sub-plots so if you tell a novelist a deep, personal secret, expect to see a just-barely-recognizable version of it in something she writes later. I have my own secrets, things I don’t want plastered on the pages of some bestselling novel  but I would take my chances if I could meet…

1. Toni Morrison. I’d probably be tongue tied. I am in awe of her writing genius so I would probably not be able to get a word out so I’d just give her my books to sign.
  2. Nicola Yoon. I’d like to compare life stories with her because I think we had similar childhood experiences.
  3. I’d like to meet Nicole Dennis-Benn so we could chat about her recent novel, Here Comes The Sun. I had a pretty strong reaction to the book and I would like to discuss some of her choices, and explain why they irked me.
  4. I have a list of questions that I want to ask Colson Whitehead and none of them are about The Underground Railroad because I still haven’t read it despite it being on my TBR since last summer. But I did read his book Colossus Of New York earlier this year and enjoyed the way he talked about NYC. Even though I adopted the city over a decade ago, I think he could still divulge some secrets.
  5. I read and enjoyed Jonathan Safran Foer‘s novel, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and have another of his books on my shelf to be read soon. For such a young man, I was impressed that he’d published 4 books… until I checked him out on Goodreads and found out that he’s written and/or collaborated on several other books, the latest of which is almost 600 pages long. I am so impressed by his writing repertoire. I just want to ask him, How’d you do that?
  6. Zadie Smith has always intrigued me. She looks so introverted in her press pics but she writes so boldly. I’d love to find out which persona is really her although I think I already know the answer to that.
  7. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, because I feel like Ifemelu’s character in Americanah is based on her life (or mine) and I want to find out how she knew so much of my story, and whether I can get a cut of the book deal.
  8. I would’ve really liked to have met Gabriel Garcia Marquez because he wrote some of my favorite books, but sadly he’s no longer a part of this world and his words are all we have to remember him by.
  9. Jamaica Kincaid has always intrigued me and I would love to sit with her for a week and learn all her secrets.
  10. And I would love to have an appointment with J. K Rowling, because to prepare for our meeting, I would read all the Harry Potter books and all the other novels she’s written both as herself and under her pseudonym (I haven’t read them yet and I need a push to finally do it). But I’d also like to meet her because the story of her persistence and the success she eventually got because she never gave up on her writing dreams, well, they are exactly the inspiration a fledgling writer like myself needs on the dull days when everything gets rejected, it seems.

These are the top 10 authors I’d like to meet and I attend book events because I hope someday, they’ll turn up and I’ll get my chance.

Who’s on your top 10 list?

Broke and Bookish

1. Greg says:

I haven’t read anything by Nicola Yoon yet but I’ve heard enough that I want to try her books. And Rowling as well, for the same reason- her story is amazing.

I recommend both of Yoon’s books. I would love to hear your thoughts when you’re done – whether her books would appeal to a male reader as well.

2. I would love to meet all the authors on your list! Well, I’m not familiar with Dennis-Benn, but now I’ve very curious about Here Comes the Sun. I’ve recently read Yoon, Colson, and Smith’s latest books and really enjoyed them, so meeting them would be perfect. And Rowling would be a dream!

My Top Ten Tuesday

Liked by 2 people

Thanks for the comment. Here Comes The Sun is a new novel – published last year I think.
      Do you go to book events? I am planning to attend BookCon in NYC this year and Nicola Yoon is on the lineup so I’m looking forward to meeting her then.

3. I read one book by Toni Morrison years ago. It was very raw but I don’t recall the name of book. I read Jamaica Kincaid’s The Autobiography of my Mother a few years ago and loved it.
    What a wonderful list. I must add Frank McCourt and Emily Bronte

Thanks for the comment, T. I listened to McCourt narrate his Teacher Man audiobook and thought the same thing – I would have loved to sit over a cup of hot cocoa and listen to him tell me stories.

4. I am so torn on JK Rowling! I have never read the Harry Potter books because I was never interested, but I am highly interested in her journey to becoming published. And Toni Morrison, guh, I am not even sure I’d be able to speak to her, but I’d just stare dumbly and be in awe of her intelligence and genius and all those things that make her and her writing amazing.

I read the first Harry Potter book when my college roommate insisted I try it but I wasn’t motivated to continue. I plan to try out Rowling’s adult fiction at some point.
      Toni Morrison seems to have that effect on all of us. Lol. Good to know it’s not just me.
      Thanks for the comment.

5. Great list this week! I can’t believe I forgot to add Morrison to my own list.

Haha. Toni Morrison is so iconic, I understand why you would forget. Like the case of not seeing the forest for the trees…