The 12 Commandments of Reading

When it comes to book etiquette, there are definitely some reading do’s and don’ts.  Like don’t dog-ear the pages, don’t bend the spine back so the covers touch. Don’t rip out the back pages to wrap your used gum. Don’t rip the cover off so you can take small sections of the book out. But nobody does that, right? Well, how about when you are reading books that you hope to learn from, not just reading for entertainment. Are there specific rules? Patrick Bet-David at Valuetainment made this hilarious video of his Ten Commandments of Reading but I had to add 11 and 12, just because while they were implied, they weren’t explicitly stated.

1. Don’t waste time reading books that you hate
  2. Don’t listen to music with lyrics while reading
  3. Do read multiple books at the same time – at all times, you should be reading a biography, a novel and a business book
  4. Don’t lend books; instead, buy extra copies of your favorites to give away
  5. Don’t just skim books for bullet-points; read the stories for illustrations
  6. Silence your inner voice while reading and allow the author to teach you
  7. Take notes and highlight while you read
  8. Join a book club – bonus points if you join my 20 Seventeen Book Club 🙂
  9. Share what you have learned – discuss it with someone else immediately
  10. Encourage others to read
  11. Read every day. It doesn’t matter how many pages you finish but get in the habit of reading every single day.
  12. Don’t spoil books for others. Share enough to invite them to read the book but don’t ever ruin someone else’s reading experience.

Do you have some reading do’s and don’ts other than the ones on this list?

Amazon, YouTubeTumblrBloglovinInstagramPinterest and Twitter
September FarmMeet @ The Barre, April, Follow Friday

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Buy Me a Coffee

1. Hi RW. Excellent and fun, we r Rblg on twitter !

Thanks for the comment, Cuban.

2. Darkowaa says:

Yup! #4 is me. I rarely lend and BUY the book for those who want to borrow my copy lol

Good plan. I have loaned out a few of my books but generally if you tell me you want to read one of my books, I will just give it to you or start looking for a copy to buy for you.

1. Darkowaa says:

Yeah, people have disappointed me by not returning my books (or returning them in terrible shape), so I’m sooo over lending my copies now smh.

Oh no. Borrowers should at least treat our books the way we do, I think.

3. Darkowaa says:

SMH. If only they thought the way we do!

3. jrusoloward says:

Definitely #1. If it’s torture getting through the first 40 pages, it’s not worth reading. #3,too, although I usually opt for a history book in the mix.

4. BermudaOnion says:

I love this list and really do need to get better at number 1.