One of my favorite reading challenges is one hosted by Erin. From her adopted home in Australia, she runs an awesome Facebook page that connects readers from all over the world. I have participated in this challenge before and completed it once so it’s great motivation to keep coming back and see if I can improve my stats.
Below are this round’s challenges, the books I selected, and how I did.
The Categories and My Progress
- 5 points: 200+ page freebie: Here Comes The Sun /Nicole Dennis-Benn 349 pages 4 stars completed 2/20/17
- 10 points: Title starts with the letter “W”: What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours/ Helen Oyeyemi 325 pages 4 stars completed 2/24/17
- 10 points: Six-word title: The Star Side of Bird Hill /Naomi Jackson 294 pages 3 stars completed 2/4/17
- 15 points: Mostly green cover: The Barrowfields /Philip Lewis 348 pages 3 stars completed 3/23/17
- 20 points: Homonym in the title: Human Acts /Han Kang 5 stars 218 pages completed 2/27/17 (Homonym: acts/axe)
- 20 points: Favorite author: Paris for One /JoJo Moyes 270 pages 3.5 stars completed 1/8/17
- 25 points: Set in New York City: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close /Jonathan Safran Foer 326 pages 5 stars completed 1/21/17
- 30 points: A “Rory Gilmore” book: Everything Is Illuminated/ Jonathan Safran Foer 276 pages 3 stars completed 4/28/17
- 30 points: Genre that you rarely read: Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller / Sarah Miller 3 stars 208 pages completed 1/31/17 (Historical Fiction)
- 35 points: Time travel: The Time Traveler’s Wife /Audrey Niffenegger 546 pages 2.5 stars completed 4/18/17
In short, I completed the challenge, even if it took me until the last couple of days to do it. Lesson learned: I need to be more intentional about choosing my challenge TBR. While the requirement is to read 10 books in 4 months, I read an average of 10 books every month. So why not use the books I am reading to complete the challenge? In the past, I have struggled with completing the requirements on time because I haven’t chosen my TBR well. Next time, I will plan better because I really want to do the bonus round which only unlocks when you’ve finished the first round. Ah, next time… the summer challenge is only a couple months away.