It is no secret that I am a fan of Seth Godin. In the past few months, I’ve read a few of his books and I subscribe to his daily blog. Yesterday, he posted this list of reasons we do things and I thought it was so moving, literally and figuratively – his words made me want to get up and do more, to fulfill a few of the reasons on the list. Below is an excerpt from his post (click here to read it on his blog)
Here is a partial list, in alphabetical order, of narratives light and dark that can serve as fuel to push us to do work that others might walk away from:
- Avoidance of shame (do this work or you’ll be seen as a fraud/loser/outcast)
- Becoming a better version of yourself
- Big dreams (because you can see it/feel it/taste it)
- Catastrophe (or the world as we know it will end)
- Competition (someone is gaining on you)
- Compliance (the boss/contract says I have to, and even better, there’s a deadline)
- Connection (because others will join in)
- Creative itch (the voice inside of you wants to be expressed)
- Dissatisfaction (because it’s not good enough as it is)
- Engineer (because there’s a problem to be solved)
- Fame (imagining life is better on the other side)
- Generosity (because it’s a chance to contribute)
- It’s a living (pay the writer)
- Peer pressure (the reunion is coming up)
- Possibility (because we can, and it’ll be neat to see how it works in the world)
- Professionalism (because it’s what we do)
- Revenge (you’ll show the naysayers)
- Selection (to get in, win the prize, be chosen)
- Unhappiness (because the only glimmer of happiness comes from the next win, after all, we’re not good enough as is)
They all work. Some of them leave you wrecked, some create an environment of possibility and connection and joy. Up to you.
Some things we do because we have to. Some we do because we want to. Some things we do and we’re not sure why we do them but we just move because we don’t want to stand still. Whatever you do today, enjoy it and may all your actions bring you blessings.
Daily Workout Challenge
The daily workout challenge continues. Two weeks ago, I announced that I am doing a daily run-walk challenge with my virtual running-buddy. Today is day 12 and the goal is to go for a run/walk outside- my personal goal is 1.5 miles today. Come back later for our updates and let me know in the comments if you’d like to join the challenge so I can add you to the daily tracker.
Runwright Update: 1.71 mile run in the park this morning
Tarnished Soul Update: 4 mile walk – 2 miles in the morning, 2 miles in the evening.
Please comment below: what’s your why for one of the goals you set this week