Half Dozen

At press time, I’ve read almost 60 books so far in 2017. This year, in addition to tracking my reading on Goodreads (click to follow), I have a reading journal (that I haven’t been updating regularly but plan to get back to someday) and an Excel file on my computer where I record lots of details that are meaningful to me. I’ve been keeping track of:

• genre of the books I read:
    • 45 Fiction versus 15 Non Fiction
    • short stories – 4
    • essays – 2
    • poetry – 2
    • business – 9
    • science – a big fat zero!
    • Literary fiction – 20
  • whether the authors are male or female or collaborations
  • where my books come from (from the library or my own bookshelves)
  • format – hardcover (38) paperback (21) or electronic (1)
  • setting – (19 different countries so far)

In just six months, I am learning more about my reading habits and tastes and whether they are actually what I say they are. For instance, I might’ve told you that I much prefer books written by women but about half of the books I chose so far are written by men. Of the 60 books, only 15 have been Non Fiction reads, even though that’s how I planned to spend a big chunk of my reading time this year. But clearly, if these are the choices I’m making, it must be because these are the books I’ve wanted to read. So how did I feel about the choices I made? Today, Broke and Bookish suggested that I rank the books I’ve read so far in 2017, so here goes:

Most Unique Novels
  • Mr Potter /Jamaica Kincaid
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close /Jonathan Safran Foer

Favorite Short Story Collections
  • Things We Lost In The Fire /Mariana Enriques
  • What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours /Helen Oyeyemi

Favorite Novels Told From Multiple Perspectives
  • Human Acts /Han Kang
  • Home going /Yaa Gyasi
  • Eve Out Of Her Ruins /Ananda Devi
Favorite Books About Immigration (one of my favorite topics to read about)
  • We Need New Names /Noviolet Bulawayo
  • The Go Giver /Bob Burg & John David Mann
Author I’ve Read The Most
  • Seth Godin  (4 books)
Book I Have Recommended Most
  • Human Acts /Han Kang
Books I Am Proudest To have Read
  • The Luminaries /Eleanor Catton (longest book and 2013 Booker Prize winner)
  • Shylock Is My Name /Howard Jacobson (most scholarly type novel)

Click to watch the accompanying video on YouTube

What are some of your favorite reads so far this year?

If you’d like to purchase any of the books mentioned, please consider clicking my affiliate links:

Amazon

Book Depository

This way, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you and can buy even more books in the second half of 2017.

1. tarnishedsoul says:

I don’t think I have nearly as many books read – but I have probably completed 3 books this year and I have about 8 started.

2. Kay says:

Really cool idea to track the books genres so you have a real idea of what u lean towards. great post chick!

3. kindfeelings says:

60 is plenty, Currently I’m reading 4 books, I completed 2.

4. 60 Books, I’m jealous! I wish I could read more I just have too much going on right now. But I do have a few books from the library I am working on, so that’s better than none LOL
    I mostly only read for pleasure so a good escape fiction read is what I like. I rarely read non-fiction which I know is bad, but I just like to escape and take my mind to another world when I read LOL

Not bad at all. Fiction has its benefits. I disagree with some people try to act snooty like if you’re not reading non fiction, it’s not important. Actually, even some of these non fiction memoir writers take some creative liberties with what they include in a book. Haha.
      What books do you have out from the library?

5. C. P. says:

Wow That’s a amazing number! I have read like 5 books this year so far. Keep Reading!! I love to read too! What is your favorite genre to read?

6. Kate W says:

Some of those on your lists are favourites of mine (Safron-Foer, Frankl, Zusak) and a couple are in my TBR stack (so glad Homegoing rates so highly for you). I have only had a couple of five-star reads this year (Commonwealth by Ann Patchett and The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose) but about to finish what will be the third – The Glorious Heresies.

Very impressed by your ’19 countries’ stat!

Thanks Kate. I have Commonwealth on my TBR too. I was supposed to have read it by now so still hoping I can get to it soon.
      And yes Homegoing is definitely worth the hype.
      Have you read other Jonathan Safran Foer books? I read Everything is Illuminated and didn’t like it as much but want to read more from him.

1. Kate W says:

I wasn’t mad for Everything either but did read Here I Am last year and loved it.

Oh that’s good to know because I was hesitant to get invested in an almost 600 page book that wasn’t great. I’ll definitely check it out now on your recommendation 🙂 Thanks, Kate

3. Kate W says:

It did have very mixed reviews – the religious and political elements of the book were less interesting for me than the relational stuff but the brilliant characters made it. If you start it and think it’s not your thing, abandon because it doesn’t get ‘easier’ as you go on!

Oh, that’s good to know. Thanks so much for the advice.

7. What a great list! And I love how you used this study to learn about your reading habits. I always find writing stuff down helps me see things more clearly.

Absolutely. I get a lot of info from tracking. If I can just stay consistent, I’ll probably learn a lot 😀

8. utopiastateofmind says:

You’ve organized them in a great way. I’ll have to think about doing that. Also love to see human acts which reminds me to read the vegetarian.

Thanks. Yes you need to read The Vegetarian. Should I send you weekly reminders until you do it? 😀

9. LHauser27 says:

Hi! I love when I think I know myself and the data tells me otherwise! 🙂 I read The Four Agreements a long time ago. I remember being very intrigued but then less interested in the second half of it. I might have been me 🙂
    Leslie

It wasn’t just you. The book wasn’t perfect but I did enjoy the premise of the message. There are things that I felt like I had to give myself permission to do/be and The Four Agreements definitely addressed that so I rated it highly for that.

10. I loved Things We Lost in the Fire! It was such a heavy collection. I paced myself. Go you with 15 nonfiction already. I am trying to make a conscious effort in this area, but slow going 😉 I am also discovering many new things about myself and book tastes during my efforts to expand my reading 🙂

Absolutely. its funny how just some simple note taking can help you figure out about your habits and likes. What’s the most surprising thing that you found out about your book tastes?

1. They are much more diverse than I realized! I was really limiting myself be sticking with my go to genres! I am also discovering that I really enjoy contemporary reads and heavily character driven books 🙂

11. Wow you’ve been busy. I admire your reading speed! On top of that you managed to finish The Luminaries. Some of the books you mentioned are on my TBR list such as Homegoing, Americanah, and even The Luminaries. I read The Book Thief last year and it was on my list of favorite books I read for last year! Great list!

Awesome. Thank you for the comment. I am glad I finally read The Book Thief too. I’d started it before and given up in the first few pages because of the narrator. To think I might have missed out on that reading experience.