It’s My Party And I’ll Cry If I Want To

It’s my birthday today.

Birthdays should be celebratory. Like they say, any day above ground is a good day. And I am happy to be alive and happy to be celebrating another birthday but I’m also emotional about where I am in my life compared to where I wish I was. Yesterday, I cried because I didn’t want to cry today on my actual birthday but.. hey…  it’s my birthday and I’ll cry if I want to.

I miss my Mummy. I wish she was with me today, so she could give me a big hug or a stern talking to so I could snap out of whatever mood I got into that’s less than happy. But Mummy is in Jamaica and I’m in NY and I have to make do with just hearing her voice and opening up all the birthday mail she sends. My Mummy is awesome; I guess that’s why I miss her so.

Other than that, though, is the feeling of not just growing older, but growing old. I had friends who didn’t live to be the age I am right now so I’m thankful to have gotten to this (BIG) number. Most people I interact with wouldn’t be able to guess my date of birth if they had ten tries. And it’s not like I woke up old and decrepit but there is the realization that time is moving and unless I move with it, I’ll be stuck in a past that doesn’t exist any more. In short, this is just a thoughtful, emotional time.

But I am choosing to think happy thoughts. I don’t have everything I want but I have a great life – a great family, great friends who treat me like family and I even have great acquaintances.  I woke up this morning to birthday messages from even those special occasion friends – you know the kinds of people you talk to on both of your birthdays and maybe Christmas. I have a lot of those and I am thankful for them because it’s still a testament to our relationship that they take the time to reach out even on those days.

So I’m thankful for another year, another chance to make the most of my opportunities, another chance to become the person I want to become and I plan to use every moment of this new year in my life to work on being happier with my decisions. To spend more time doing the things that will fulfill me.

That’s why today, I am accepting an invitation to start a 365 day challenge which I’ll tell you more about later. For now, I just wanted to pop in, say hello and thank you for being part of this awesome life that I am celebrating today. God bless you all!

1. Wishes galore on your special day.

2. Simon says:

Hi ya Karen, happy birthday. He hugs to you, I know what it’s like to be getting older and seemingly going nowhere or have missed out. I have no answers or advice for you as sometimes I get mad at it. It just kind of is and how we deal with it makes us who we are ☺️

Thanks for that, Simon. I appreciate your saying so and you’re right – it just kind of is and we show who we are by how we deal with it. I’ll be better 🙂

3. BIG HUG!!! Happy Happy birthday.

Thanks, love. Hugs right back to you.

4. jrusoloward says:

Happy Birthday! I’m sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed by all this day means, and missing your mum. Xoxo

Thanks, J. As the day progressed, I started enjoying it more 🙂

5. Happy born date…. it’s my younger brothers birthday to so peace to the Leo’s ✌

Thanks, Christopher. We’re actually in Virgo season now. Best of the zodiac 🙂

1. Ya that’s what I meant… I just wanted to see if you knew…😏 and aries is the best! Lol.😂

Haha. That’s a debate neither of us can win so we’ll just have to agree that maybe they’re both excellent 🙂

3. Agree to disagree huh… ok gotcha On that note… lol

Happy birthday to your brother as well. I hope he had a great celebration.

1. Thanks… I tell him when I go visit him or write him… thank you!

6. awww happy birthday!! You deserve a great day, I know birthdays can be overwhelming sometimes but I hope you find a little fun 🙂

I did and thank you, Rosie.

7. johnrieber says:

First of all, happy birthday! I think your posts are great, and I’m glad I found your blog. I have always been a believer in the following: you can’t stop aging, but you never have to get old. Your passion for the subjects you cover, and the way in which you articulate them, is inspiring – and you should celebrate that even more today!

Thank you for your kind words, John.

8. Happy Birthday! I’m 52, and I started a few years ago having mixed feelings about mine, mainly for the reasons you listed, so I completely understand. That said, it sounds like you have a lot to be happy about,so try to focus on the positives and enjoy your special day.🤗💐🍾🎈🎂

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I did have a wonderful birthday.

9. Well Happy Birthday Karen! I hope you are enjoying yourself today on this very hot summer day (at least where I am). I look forward to your posts because you always write honestly about yourself and your book reviews reflect that as well. Have some cake!

Thank you. I had some cake. Actually, I had a lot of cake. One of my friends told me birthday cake calories don’t count so I took that idea and went to town with it. LOL

10. Happy Happy Happy birthday!!!

I hope your is wonderful and blessed!

Hugs from MD!!!

I can’t wait to hear about the 365 challenge!!

Thanks, T. Hugs right back to you.

11. Happy birthday!!🎈🎊🎉🎁🎂

Thanks so much, Misty

12. Happy Birthday! I tried sending this yesterday in between flights, but my WiFi connection in the airport was not very strong. I don’t think it went through. Have a wonderful day! I hope you get all your wishes, and sorry you are separated from a few loved ones on this special day.

Thanks so much for the thought and the greeting, James. I hope you’re having a good trip and stay safe with this unpredictable weather.

1. Thank you. I am home today. But I will be in Nort Carolina in 11 days, so we shall see!

Oh, okay, good. NYC is the right place to be 🙂

13. Old? Girl, you’re not old until bits stop working and some detach themselves, voluntarily. I hope you had a good day.

LOL. That’s the funniest thing I’ve read today.
      Thanks for the laugh and I hope you’re having a great day also

14. In these post-post ironic days, Karen, I must admit I speak from painful, awkward experience but laughter is good. I have to laugh myself because gloom is not in my lexicon

15. marilynyung says:

Happy happy birthday! Love your blog!

Thanks so much, Marilyn.