Art Effects

“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”
― Thomas MertonNo Man Is an Island

Yesterday, I told you that recently, I’ve been expressing my thoughts through sketching and doodling. I’ve been flipping through how-to books and watching YouTube tutorials on drawing cartoon figures and the very act of drawing is a stress release but it also inspires me to be more creative in other aspects of my life. I draw a character and then I start to think about her life and before you know it, I have a story to write.

I sketched this little doll while watching a tutorial yesterday and while I brushed over some watercolor, it made me think about how we can hide our identity behind costumes. Today, I am writing that story.

What about you? How does art affect you?

Other than the blog, I’m on: Amazon, YouTubeTumblrBloglovinInstagramPinterest and Twitter

Linkup: B Loved BostonMore Pieces of Me, Inspire Me Tuesday,

1. Like a true artist, I’m extremely self-critical of my own artistic abilities.
    Unlike a true artist, no one will like my stick-figure drawings…lol

On a serious note, I always hated drawing because I felt like I was never good enough. Then when I was a freshman in college I took a drafting class and the instructor used “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” as a tool to teach drawing. I was amazed at a few of the techniques I learned while in that class. I began to finally just draw out of appreciation of simply doing it. Granted, it has been a long time since I doodled anything, but after reading your post I think I might take that up, again. 🙂

You definitely should continue with your doodles. No one could be worse at drawing than me but I decided to silence the self criticism and just draw for the benefit it gives me. I highly recommend a book I linked in yesterday’s post: Draw To Win. If you need a reason to draw, check out that book.
      Thanks for the comment!

1. I think time is my biggest challenge…lol
        But I’ll take a look at the book, for sure.
        Thank you. 🙂
        (By the way, I’m Tarnished Soul…I deleted my previous blog)

YEAHHH! Welcome back. I MUCH prefer this blog name – nothing tarnished about you 🙂 I was thinking about you yesterday and planned to email you so thanks for reaching out.
        I sketch while I am doing something else (like talking on the phone or watching something on TV) so it doesn’t require too much extra time.

3. My email has changed, as well…lol
        I’m now at: acquiescentsoul@gmail.com

And thank you, so much, for your kind words. 🙂

cool. I’ll update my contacts

5. Thank you for being my friend. 🙂

And thanks for being mine 🙂 Like you said in another post, we all need connection

2. Kay says:

This is so cute. I wish I was this type of artistic. Im just not lols

Haha. Neither am I, hun. I still don’t know how this turned out so good 🙂

3. Drangonfly says:

Arts affects me immensely, since I was little! I was a dancer and played the piano and now my kids do as well. I tried to surround myself with art as much as possibly, My daughter and I do art very often. We are into BuJoing now with has tons of watercoloring and doodling! I suspect you’d love BuJoing! BTW.. I love your watercolor girl! so ephemeral!

Oh thank you so much for the comment. I have always liked journaling and love that there are so many resources to get inspiration.

4. Dani Chapman says:

I love the little girl you doodled and painted. I am glad you are taking the time to express yourself with this kind of art. I think it is an important outlet and one that I am trying to use more.

Thanks so much, Dani. I have noticed doodling has an effect on other aspects of my creativity so it’s something I am trying to do more.