Unique Titles

To be fair, the title of this post isn’t unique. The list I am about to share with you will appear in a slightly different version on many book blogs today because I am responding to a prompt from Broke and Bookish. Also, the very idea that one would refer to book titles as unique is stating the obvious since most books are named so they will be distinct from other works, and thus easy to be found within the plethora of other options. However, today, I will list a few books that stick out in my memory when I think of titles that grabbed my attention:

Two Across which is about a young couple bonding over a passion for crossword puzzles. As a puzzler myself, I was immediately drawn to the book.
Everything, Everything is about a girl who is allergic to everything. What makes this unique is that if the word everything is really all inclusive, why repeat it? The doubling up of the word intrigued me.

Lincoln in the Bardo piqued my interest because first,  I didn’t know what a bardo is (it’s a term for the afterlife state of purgatory) and second,

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, the first of Maya Angelou’s autobiographies, has a catchy title and one that enthralled me at first glance.

Special Topics in Calamity Physics is one I haven’t read yet but I know it’s a novel, not someone’s PhD thesis obscure topic. I want to see how the author weaves the title into the story.

What are some unique-to-you novel/memoir titles?
I’m on: Amazon, YouTubeTumblrBloglovinInstagramPinterest and Twitter

1. Great list and Two Across does sound intriguing. I would definitely at least check out the synopsis based on the title.

Have a great week.

2. mwgerard says:

I loved Special Topics, and such a wordy title made sense with that narrator. http://mwgerard.com/top-ten-tuesday-unique-book-names/

Great to know. I will bump it up on my list 🙂

3. Drangonfly says:

I started reading “Everything, Everything:” because all the hype and the movie coming on and all that BUT my inner SJW got all offended because it’s tired of seeing all Latina characters being maids so it was a DNF LOL [winks] I ll have to check the other books. Great list Karen 🙂

I understand that very well. I think sometimes, everyone isn’t as sensitive as the people who are affected by these infractions. I had a similar reaction to a book about Jamaicans.

4. Great choices today! I like the Two Across title.

5. Kay says:

Two across is a unique title. Love the entire list.

6. Good choices! My friend read Lincoln in the Bardo and she told me what a bardo was, which I promptly forgot, so thanks for bringing it back for me. But I remember the title and think it fits well in this category!

Thanks, BCM. The title probably introduced most of us to the concept of the bardo.

7. I have Lincoln in the Bardo on my TBR list right now. It’s there mostly because of the title . . .

8. Simon says:

I have to admit I like your thinking – there are some interesting title in there! 🙂

9. Ah, a few of these are on my radar. I love the cover for Two Across! Adorable.