Remember that time I did a reading challenge? Okay, so that’s all the time but this is one that I do often and that I’ll be participating in starting January. You could join too!
On December 1st, Erin announced the categories for Book Challenge by Erin 8.0. That means interested readers have a month to plan a reading list, acquire the books if necessary and start meeting other participants.
Below are the challenge categories and the books I have chosen to read to meet them.
Read a book that….
• 5 points: is at least 200 pages History of Rain /Niall Williams
• 10 points: starts with the letter “L” Little Fires Everywhere /Celeste Ng
• 10 points: has a (mostly) red cover Us/David Nicholls
• 15 points: has a character’s name in the title (The Storied Life of A J Fikry /Gabrielle Zevin) changed to Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
• 20 points: appears on this list: https://bookriot.com/2017/04/11/100-books-with-plot-twists/ The Circle /Dave Eggers
• 20 points: has the words “house” or “home” in the title Home /Marilynne Robinson
• 25 points: the author’s first and last name begins with the same letter Little Bee /Chris Cleave
• 30 points: was originally published in a different language than your own A Man Called Ove /Fredrik Backman
• 30 points: has most of the action taking place on a form of transportation The Woman in Cabin 10 /Ruth Ware
• 35 points: has a character that suffers from a debilitating physical illness All the Light We Cannot See /Anthony Doerr
…and these are the rules…
• First and foremost, have fun. Don’t stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it’s an accomplishment for you, then that’s awesome.
• The challenge will run from JANUARY 1, 2018 to APRIL 30, 2018. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on January 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on April 30 will count.
• Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audio books are fine too.
• A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once.
• Read your books in any order .
• Rereads can be used only once
• There will be a photo album for each category with links to books chosen. Comment on the photo for each of your books when you finish reading them.
• There will be 10 book categories with a possibility of earning 200 points.
• Book categories will be posted December 1st to give you time to gather books in preparation.
• After the categories are posted, please post a preliminary list with books of your choice according to their categories on the Facebook group page by December 15th (if possible).
• The first three people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge. The following will get a small prize from me (1st to complete 1st round; 1st to complete both rounds; and WILD CARD random draw – all who finish the 10 book challenge will qualify as an entry!) Plus, everyone who completes the challenge will gets all sorts of recognition and support!
Anyone else doing this reading challenge with me?